For the average person, sitting has become the default body position. We spend up to 15 hours a day sitting while working, watching television, eating, and driving. Research has warned us that sitting can be detrimental to our health.
When we’re sitting, we burn fewer calories. Standing burns more calories, even when standing still, and may help alleviate back pain. And extremely sedentary people may risk diabetes, heart disease, or even early death.
- The notion that standing was healthier for the heart was first suggested back in 1953.
- A single afternoon spent standing while working can burn an additional 170 calories—that adds up to an extra 850 calories per work week.
- Using a standing desk may help lower blood sugar levels.
- Using a standing desk may reduce risk of heart disease.
- A CDC study showed that using a sit-stand desk reduced participants’ upper back and neck pain by 54% in 4 weeks.
- Standing desk users report improvements in vigor and energy during the workday.
Ease into standing while working by spending 50% of your workday sitting and 50% standing.
If you're looking for standing desk options, you've come to the right place. Contact us today if you need help locating the ideal standing option for you.